Home • VB 7+ • VB 1-6 • FB • QB64 • QB45 • GW-BASIC • Micro • Retro
FreeBASIC is a completely free, open-source, multi-platform BASIC compiler, with syntax similar to MS-QuickBASIC, that adds new features such as pointers, unsigned data types, inline assembly, object orientation, and many others.
- FreeBASIC (GitHub)
- FreeBASIC (Discord)
- Xuisinboy Bekchanov
- Paul Squires
- Jose Roca
- FbFrog (GitHub): FreeBASIC binding creation tool.
- FbFrog Scripts (GitHub): Scripts for fbfrog-based FreeBASIC bindings.
- FbRtLib (Github): FreeBASIC Runtime Library written in FreeBASIC.
- Batched Files -Station992 - Http Server (GitHub) -Client library for IRC (GitHub)
- “Nine” Card Game (GitHub)
- FreeBASIC in Russian (Unofficial)
- Compiling FB for DOS
FreeBASIC vs GW-BASIC
By default, FreeBASIC doesn’t have support for line number and other “deprecated” language features. However, if you specify the -lang commandline parameter, these features are enabled. Some other areas of note (these need to be verified):
- KEY ON / OFF is not supported as FreeBASIC is more compatible with QB than GW-BASIC; which also did not have KEY ON / OFF. However, QB would just ignore the command; FreeBASIC requires that you modify the code.
- KEY (#) ON/OFF and ON KEY (#) GOSUB is not supported. Again, somewhat expected. The closest you can mimic the behavior is through the INKEY$ and utilize polling.
- DEF FNname() not supported. Since you can create actual functions this, again, is somewhat to be expected.
- EXTERR() not supported.
- GOSUB # … RETURN doesnt work unless you specify “-lang qb”. The line number support can be enabled with “-lang deprecated”. Yet if you try to call RETURN it reports “Illegal outside blah blah blah or SUB block”.
- SCREEN() isn’t supported. Not the SCREEN() command, the SCREEN() function.